DevOps Engineer Permanent Cardiff Ansible, Docker, Splunk, Linux, Git My client, a leading Digital Financial Technology company providing cloud based digital technology solutions to leading...
Fibre Support Engineer
I am currently recruiting for a Fibre Support Engineer based in Bristol, on a 3 month contract for a large IT Service Provider working with one of their customers in telecommunication.
Description of project:
Audit and consolidation of existing fibre estate removing any redundant or over length fibres, re-labelling fibre, and ensuring all fibre identified on site is documented and reported to offshore colleagues to enable the update and alignment of fibre inventory systems. Once a site has been through the audit process we will be installing new standardised ODF equipment, to future proof our future requirements.
The sites will all go through a 3 Phase process with a short time gap between each Phase. The gap is for the offshore teams to complete a detailed analysis of the findings from the previous Phase, and define the required actions for the next Phase. Here are the requirements at each Phase.
- Phase 1- Non intrusive visual audit to check and record what fibres are present at ODF.
- Phase 2 - Hand trace any unidentifiable fibres check for traffic length and remove unused fibres.
- Phase 3 - Under outage conditions remove excess length fibres and replace with correct lengths, In NWH remove and cut back unused fibres check all fibres are labelled to the correct standard.
Job purpose & accountabilities:
Should have an understanding of telecoms transmission having previously worked on fibre optic cables. The engineers should understand typical circuit labelling have good eyesight and attention to detail. The ability to work with and under supervision of others has good communication skills being prompt and reliable at all times. It is desirable that the engineers would have previously used OTDRS and fibre test equipment.
Skills required are:
- Shall have an understanding of telecoms transmission having previously worked on fibre optic cables.
- Shall understand typical circuit labelling have good eyesight and attention to detail.
- Shall have ability to work with and under supervision of others has good communication skills being prompt and reliable at all times.
- Shall have basic knowledge of fibre test principle and equipment (OTDR, live fibre tester, fibre microscope etc.)
- Shall possess excellent attention to detail (essential as the role requires recording large volumes of key fibre data).
- Must be an excellent team worker and readily accept instruction from lead engineers.
- Shall have excellent communication skills (essential as the role requires constant communication with, and updating of offshore teams and schedulers).
- Engineers must have completed a IOSH health and safety course (or similar) that covers; risk and hazards of working in head ends or exchange
If this role is of intrest please contact me on: 02039468052
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy or maternity or age