Do you want to work on an award winning website, iOS and Android apps?My client are a multi-disciplinary, co-located team, their approach to product development...
Do you want to work on an award winning website, iOS and Android apps?
My client are a multi-disciplinary, co-located team, their approach to product development is based on Lean principles and they've embedded continuous delivery and data-informed decision making into process, tools and architecture. They value transparency, accountability, shared responsibility and teamwork. Focused on users and a mission to provide engaging world-class journalism.
Most engineers work across the entire stack, although many have expertise with particular technologies and domains, for example client-side; performance; accessibility; building APIs; security or integration. Deploy to production many times a day and have full ownership of releases, the tools used and site reliability.
What you'll work on
- develop new features for a .com website and Apps using modern web technologies
- collaborate with product owners and UX/designers, contributing ideas to help achieve company-wide goals
- maintain high standards for web performance, security and accessibility
Here's a list of things used a lot, it's not exhaustive, but gives you a taste of what the stack and tools look like.
- Node.js; Heroku; AWS: mainly Lambda, Kinesis, Dynamo
- ElasticSearch; Neo4j Redis; GraphQL
- Handlebars; Sass; Webpack; Preact
- Fastly and VCL
- Github; Circle CI; Sentry
- Graphite; Grafana
My client don't expect you to have worked with all of these, it will just be a bonus for us if you have worked with some of them.
Your core skillset and expertise will be web development and you'll be enthusiastic about contributing to all parts of the process. Have an understanding of design and UX principles. You don't need to rely on a framework to get things done, and you prefer the tools that are good enough for your use case.
What it's like to work for my client
This department has over 30 developers working in small cross-functional teams with opportunities to rotate to other teams. Ensure engineers have the tools they need - people are free to choose the OS and device type that suits them, and my client encourage exploration of new tools and techniques. Support informal knowledge sharing alongside more formal training opportunities.
Benefits. Many great benefits but the standout ones are:
- Competitive salary and bonus scheme
- 25 days leave, increasing to 30 after two years
- Pension plan, company doubling your contribution
- Other schemes include: Flexidays, Childcare vouchers, Give as you earn, Cycle to Work, travel loans, healthcare, dental, life assurance, gym membership, local business discounts.
Apply now by sending in your updated CV
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy or maternity or age